Friday, June 22, 2012

Somewhat disappointed to say the least!

Not in myself mind you, more with BeachBody, the mighty home of P90X itself.
A comment was made recently that in a conference it had been mentioned that the P90x program is 70% nutrition and 30% physical effort. And that anyone not following the P90X nutrition guide was NOT in fact doing P90X at all.

Now I am not for one second suggesting that nutrition is NOT important, of course it is. Making sure the body has the right ingredients to bake up the body cake we are looking for is a key part to success. But we are all baking different cakes here. Some want to be ultra lean, some are building muscle, some just want to get tight an tone. In reality all goals need different plans. More importantly here we need to remember that we are ALL different. Two identical looking people can need totally different nutrition to achieve the same goal.

Our bodies all deal with our intake differently, with some putting on a pound as soon as they look at chocolate, and others able to live on fast food, yet remain lean. So to put such emphasis on ONE nutrition guide is rather amateur if you ask me, let alone unprofessional. Especially when its coming from the same company who made such an epic program as P90X. The way the program is presented makes you feel motivated, inspired and driven. Realising you too can achieve your goals with a bit of hard work.
So to suddenly say that you CAN'T achieve these goals if you don't follow a nutrition guide is a joke.

I realise of course this is NOT black and white, and they are not that blinkered. In reality what they are getting at is broken into two separate things. Firstly, that nutrition in general IS important. Certain groups of vitamins, proteins, carbs etc need to be observed. Making sure you get the right levels is going to make a difference to your results. and secondly, that BeachBody sell a comprehensive range of diet and nutrition products which are part of the nutrition guide, and they would like you very much to buy. At the end of the day they are a company, and its good business sense to promote your products.

But please..... next time you decide to have a push on your products, a sales drive, and an awareness week... DON'T tell people that they are almost wasting their time by following your exercise programs without following your nutrition guides. Not only does it DE-motivate people (including me this morning) but its also bullshit! I have followed your wonderful program for 1 and a half rounds now, and have achieved almost every goal I set myself. I have tried to eat clean when I could, but have not refused myself anything (ok maybe bread and fried foods have been cut out).

If I could afford financially to follow a stricter nutritional plan I would, but given that my budget on a bad week allows me to eat little more than cereal and tuna, I don't think I will be spending £100 a month on Shakeology just yet.

To put it into perspective, when I read the statement last night I was shocked by it. While I could see its intentions, and its realities, I felt somewhat put down and like I had not achieved what I thought I had. Like I had thought I had completed an exam, only to find I forgot to do a whole section. When training this morning, when it came time to dig deep and push harder a little part of me just said 'why bother'. Was like my boss walking past me working flat out, and just whispering 'why bother, you're shit!'

Now I'm a grown man, and i have overcome far worse things in my life, so this certainly wont put me down. In fact if anything its inspired me now. To prove that there are cheaper products out there that will do the job just as well lol. When I return from my summer holiday, the push will begin to achieve the goals I set myself for Round 2 of P90X. In the meantime I am still left thanking you for creating such a good program to follow, and hope my results speak for themselves.
Bulkier, slimmer, healthier and feeling amazing.

Til next time, stick a BB protein bar in it !

PS, I put a belt on the smallest pair of jeans I own today because they are too loose.... PPS I had chocolate late night!

No comments:

Post a Comment