Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Levels of commitment.

OK, a quick entry to make sure someone is on the right track here. A friend about to embark on P90X is a little concerned that they might 'fail' to rise to the challenge.

Here are my thoughts.
When I approached the idea of taking on P90X I thought 'go for gold, balls out, all in', but soon realised that there is a margin of adaptation to the whole thing. Just like entering the London Marathon, 20,000+ people don't all set out to complete it in the same time. Everyone has their own level, pace and limits, and what is important is to find yours.

Not your comfort zone! Hell no, that's why we consider doing these things in the first place, to break the chain, and live a little outside that zone.

What I mean is, there are key areas of the program, nutrition and intensity. Depending on your strengths and weaknesses you will need to dial yourself in properly to make sure you are on the right path.
Round 1 for me, as I have said I was not strict about intake and nutrition. Although it improved over time, I knew keeping some flexibility in my diet was important to keep me on track. My improvements and gains remained pretty darn amazing. And while I didn't stay to the plan, I stayed in the game.

Intensity is the other area. While it is important to give it all you have, pushing for the best possible reps etc. You can control the pain, ache, soreness, call it what you may. You can do this by deciding HOW intense you make it. Round 1 I pushed myself to make sure I was achieving good clean reps, full sets, and a medium level of discomfort. This time around that's very different. Flat out, full on, train to failure every set.
The difference in how I feel daily is a world apart from Round 1. The level of ache and discomfort I am experiencing now is unreal. After waking from 2 hours sleep, after the past 2 days of training flat out, with the vest I am sore as hell. But I love it!
Anyone would think I had not been doing these routines for the past 90 days and had just begun.

So to round up its simple. Give it all you can. Don't be afraid to adapt movements and diet to allow you to feel you are achieving something daily, but are able and keen to keep going. Over the weeks form will improve, achievements will become plentiful, and I am sure you will surprise yourself with what you can do.

Remember its about training to failure, not failure to train. Keep pressing play, and dig deep. P90X Day 90 glory awaits you.
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

No comments:

Post a Comment